Elder Cottage Housing Opportunity (ECHO)
Please complete both applications and return to:
Area Agency on Aging
123 Wyoming Ave., Floor 4
Scranton, PA 18503
Or email the application to AAA@lackawannacounty.org
Elderly Cottage Housing Opportunity (ECHO) Application
ECHO Rental Application
The Lackawanna County Area Agency on Aging has received a grant from the PA Department of Aging for the Elder Cottage Housing Opportunity (ECHO) program. Qualifying residents will be able to rent a small, transportable home that can be temporarily placed on the property of a family member or other host. At this time, we are looking for two applicants for this new program!
What is ECHO Housing?
ECHO stands for Elder Cottage Housing Opportunity. Elder cottages are small, separate, manufactured residences that are temporarily placed in the side or rear yard of an older adult’s friend or family member. It is an affordable housing option, meaning that the resident will pay no more than 30% of their income on rent.
What are the Benefits of ECHO Housing?
• ECHO cottages provide safety and autonomy for older adults along with easy access to family members who can provide assistance. Instead of having to travel far to pick up mom or dad for appointments or shopping, he/she is only steps away;
• Both the elder and the host family maintain their privacy and dignity;
• In addition to improving the health of the older resident, stress on caregivers is reduced and family cohesiveness is preserved;
• Placing a temporary elder cottage near one’s home is also more cost effective and timely than making home modifications, which are expensive and can change the permanent character and use of the home;
• ECHO housing is much more affordable than nursing home care; and
• Finally, but not of least importance, access to an elder cottage can prevent premature institutionalization of an older adult